Information about admissions to Wellington Primary School for academic year 2019-20 can be found on the Tower Hamlets website.
Admissions to Reception - September 2020
The policy and arrangements for admission to the school are set out in the Local Authority's school admissions booklet 'Starting School in Tower Hamlets'. Click here to download a copy of the most recent version. The admissions criteria can be found on page 11. When the 2020 version is published, it will be available on this page.
A paper copy of the booklet can be obtained from the Local Authority's Pupil Admissions Team on 020 7364 5006.
The admissions criteria for Reception are as follows:
If a community school receives more applications than places available, children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan, which names the school applied to, will be placed before all other applicants.
The remaining places will be filled in the following priority order:
- Children looked after by the local authority, previously looked after children who left care under a residence or special guardianship order, or those adopted from local authority care
- Children for whom it is deemed there is strong medical or social reason to attend the school applied to
- Children living within the catchment area who have a sibling attending the school (including the school of separate infants and junior schools) and who will continue to do so on the date of admission
- Children who live within the catchment area of the school and for whom the school applied for is their nearest community school within the catchment area
- Other children from within the catchment area of the school
- Children living outside of the catchment area of the school applied to
In the event of oversubscription within categories 3, 4, 5, and 6 above, priority will be given to children who live closest to the school by the shortest walking distance. A digital ordnance survey map is used to measure the distance from the home address to the school’s designated official entrance.
Admissions to Nursery - September 2020
Children will normally start Nursery in the term following their third birthday.
At Wellington we have 50 part-time places with up to 10 full-time places for those who are eligible.
Applications for admissions in September 2020 will soon be open. Parents apply directly to the local authority. Check back soon for further information.
All children aged three and four are entitled to 15 hours a week free nursery education during school term times (38 weeks a year), from the term following their third birthday.
The policy and arrangements for admission to the Wellington's Nursery are set out in the Local Authority's school admissions guidance. Click here to download a copy of 'Starting School in Tower Hamlets 2019'.
If we receive more applications than the number of places available, then the admissions criteria for Reception above will be used.
The school catchment area is the defined area in which a school is located. It is generally bounded by major roads and/or railway/canal. The catchment area for each Tower Hamlets Community school is set by the Local Authority and designed to ensure that each address in the borough falls into the catchment area of local school. Details of community schools within the catchment area for a particular address can be viewed on the Local Authority’s website: http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/equalchance.
For further information about schools in Tower Hamlets generally, visit the Tower Hamlets website by clicking here.