At Wellington we have chosen to follow the Charanga music scheme, which has been mapped and developed to ensure that children will:
- Foster a life long love of music through exposure to diverse musical experiences that inspire creativity, self-expression and connection with others
- Listen to, review and evaluate the work of great composers and musicians from a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions
- Find their voices as singers, individually and within a group
- Experience being a performer of music
- Create and compose music on their own. including using technology when appropriate
- Learn to play wind and string instruments including the recorder, violin and saxaphone
- Have the opportunity to learn a wider range of instruments including the keyboard and wind/ brass instruments with the opportunity to take exams
- Enjoy and have an appreciation of a range of different musical styles e.g. Classical, Jazz, Hip Hop, Pop, Rock etc.
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated
- Use and understand technical musical language and include musical features in their own work
To find out how children's skills and knowledge progress in Music, click here.